Monday, September 27, 2010

in the kitch

Hello all!  I am so excited to share with you a few things that I have been up to lately on the farm.  I made a batch of the most fantastic hot pepper jelly using all local fruits and veggies over the weekend.  It goes very well with cheese, meat or tofu, but my favorite way to serve it is on top a block of cream cheese with water crackers.  That has always been a crowd pleaser in my home.  If you like hot, sweet and tangy, you'll love my hot pepper jelly.  That sounds kind of catchy.

Lately, I have been making these cute little reusable bags out of recycled vinyl.  They are big enough to put a sandwich in or carry apple slices for you or your child.  You just use, rinse, and reuse.  They are double lined in vinyl for an easy clean and secured with velcro.  No more buying snack bags for this girl! My son has the most incredible lunch box with his recycled CARS snack bags.  How cool is that?

Right now I have applesauce processing in a hot water bath and I am about to give you the recipe for the raw spaghetti dinner that I made last night.  The hubs, Chris, overstuffed himself at lunch at my parents house so he wanted a light dinner so I made this little gem:

Spaghetti:
Squash or Zucchini
zester

Zest your squash and/or zucchini in 4 inch strips into a large bowl.  When you have zested your desired amount, add a little olive oil and sea salt or garlic salt. Set to the side.

Sauce:
6 large tomatoes
5 sun dried tomatoes
2 garlic cloves
1 handful fresh basil leaves
1 handful fresh parsley leaves
1/2 t. freshly ground black pepper
1/4 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. olive oil
1/4 c. lemon juice
1/4 cup golden raisins or other dried fruit
1 tsp. sea salt


Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth. 

Place the desired amount of veggie spaghetti in bowls and pour your sauce over.  Enjoy!

You can also make a pesto instead of sauce.

Pesto:
1 bunch parsley
2 bunches basil
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/8 tsp. sea salt
1/4 cup olive oil

Process until smooth.

I have two minutes left on this batch of applesauce so I will sign off for now. 




Peas Love and Tie-Dye!

No comments:

Post a Comment