Monday, February 27, 2012

Shebang!ed out Sprouted Quinoa Cookies

I am on the quest to make a reasonable cookie for the hubby who is craving sweets.  He ate a boat load of vegan girl scout cookies this morning and has been begging me for vegan cookies since he had one of anna B's gluten free vegan cookies (which ended up being 8 after a few days).  Anna B's and my schedule aren't the same, heck, I never really have a schedule, it's just make, make, make and deliver.  I like it this way.

I had a few things that I wanted to try out, making something sweet out of quinoa, using organic coconut oil (which is a renewable resource), Shebang! of course, and ground flaxseed.  I love when everything just works out perfectly, oh, and it had to be gluten free too.  I just prefer it that way.  No allergy here, but I just like it since I started cooking gluten-free for Pelham about 3 years ago, full time, before that it was during the holidays to impress my Aunt Robie, who has been gluten free FOR-EV-VER.  I just loved the challenge.

So get out your mixer and your coffee grinder and let's make some cookies.

Shebang! Quinoa Cookies

Ingredients:
1 c. Shebang! spiced sugar blend
6 oz. coconut oil, I get the refined organic Spectrum brand
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1/4 c. almond, coconut or soymilk
2 tsp. baking powder, aluminum free, of course
1 c. ground sprouted quinoa, I get mine in the bulk section at Whole Foods Market
1 c. rice flour
1/2 c. ground flaxseed
extra Shebang for rollling

Directions:
In an electric mixer, or mix by hand, the Shebang! spiced sugar with coconut oil until well creamed.  Add vanilla and baking powder till well combined. Add soymilk, and continue to beat.  Add ground quinoa, rice flour and ground flaxseed and beat till combined.

Place on parchment paper and or in a bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Shape dough into walnut sized balls and roll into the extra Shebang! until well coated.  Place on a baking sheet, two inches from the next.  Using the bottom of a cup, flatten to 1/2 inch. Continue with the rest.

Bake 10- 12 minutes and remove from oven.  Let cool a few minutes before transferring to a wrack to cool.

These are absolutely delicious!

I used a coffee grinder to grind up my sprouted quinoa (it comes sprouted) and flaxseed, then measured.  I just loved the smell and the texture.

Chris ate a lot of dough, and has had at least 5 cookies since I baked them.  I enjoyed one a few minutes out the oven.  That's my favorite time, well, that and breakfast.

Oh, and on a personal note, I've been listening to bluegrass all day, and feel like a worker bee.  My favorite has been Mumford and Sons' Sigh No More. His voice reminds me of how I picture Ireland, the people, the heart of it all, Ireland.  I hope I go one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment